Summer is synonymous with relaxation, BBQ parties, and fun-filled beach trips, but the unanticipated summer plumbing problems can disrupt your peaceful times. Understand these common issues and learn to prevent them to ensure your summer stays as bright and sunny as it’s meant to be.
Unmasking the Common Summer Plumbing Problems
From sprinkler mishaps to an overburdened washing machine, here’s a deep dive into the most common summer plumbing issues and how to avoid them.
Summer BBQ parties are a treat but leftovers can turn into a nightmare for your disposal unit. Hard, fibrous food waste such as corn husks and watermelon rinds can lead to nasty clogs.
- Preventive Tip: Be cautious of what you throw in the disposal. Maintain a practice of running cold water before and after disposal to flush out any lingering particles.
Sewer Line Backups
An overflow of rainwater during summer can seep into sewer lines through any existing cracks, causing blockages and potential property damage.
- Preventive Tip: Conduct regular sewer line inspections to catch potential cracks or weaknesses. Installing a backwater prevention valve can also prevent sewer water from flowing back into the house.
Your sprinklers are likely working overtime during summer to keep your garden fresh. However, leaky sprinkler heads or underground leaks can lead to excessive water waste and higher bills.
- Preventive Tip: Inspect your sprinkler system regularly for any signs of leaks or malfunction. A smart sprinkler controller can help control water usage and detect issues early.
Washing Machine Overload
Increased laundry loads during summer can stress your washing machine, leading to wear and tear, and even potential flooding.
- Preventive Tip: Try to give your machine a break between loads and avoid overloading it. Inspect hoses for any signs of wear, and replace them immediately to prevent water damage.
Overworked Water Heaters
More frequent showers and pool time during summer can strain your water heater, leading to inefficiency and even sudden breakdowns.
- Preventive Tip: Schedule regular inspections for your water heater. Look out for signs of wear such as leaks or rust, and schedule professional servicing as necessary. Consider upgrading to a tankless water heater for on-demand hot water.
Increased use of toilets, especially with kids at home, can lead to frequent clogs and backups, causing unwanted hassle and potential damage.
- Preventive Tip: Educate your family members about what can and can’t be flushed down the toilet. Keep a trash bin nearby for disposal of non-flushable items.
Extreme summer heat can cause pipes to expand and contract, leading to leaks or bursts, especially in poorly insulated homes.
- Preventive Tip: Regularly monitor your water pressure as sudden changes could indicate underlying pipe issues. Improve insulation in your home, particularly around pipes, to protect against temperature changes.
Recognizing When to Call a Professional Plumber
Despite our best preventive measures, summer plumbing problems can still pop up. Knowing when to call a professional is crucial. Keep an eye out for unexpected changes such as a sudden drop in water pressure, an inexplicable spike in your water bill, or visible signs of water damage. These could be indications of a serious problem needing expert attention.
Emphasizing Regular Maintenance
The key to preventing most summer plumbing problems lies in regular inspection and maintenance. A simple annual checkup can identify potential issues before they escalate, saving you time, money, and stress. As the old adage goes, “Prevention is better than cure.”
Your summer should be about relaxation, not wrestling with summer plumbing problems. By gaining a deeper understanding of these common issues and their preventive measures, you stand a better chance of keeping your summer free of plumbing hassles.
Your Summer Plumbing Solution with True Service Plumbing
When it comes to summer plumbing problems in Toronto and the surrounding GTA, True Service Plumbing is your trusted partner for both residential and commercial plumbing needs. Our team of licensed professionals offers efficient and comprehensive solutions, from preventative maintenance to major repairs.
Experiencing unexpected clogs or worrying about pipe bursts? Our experts are ready to diagnose and fix these issues, ensuring minimal disruption to your summer fun.
Don’t let plumbing issues put a damper on your sunny days. Reach out to True Service Plumbing today. We’re committed to making sure your plumbing systems flow smoothly, so you can enjoy a worry-free summer.